Friday, March 27, 2015

What Does It Mean to be a Man?

This whole concept of manliness has challenged me many times throughout my life - sometimes in a good way and others...well, not so much.

However, this is where I currently stand on the whole thing, and again, this is just my perspective... I would be grateful to hear yours if you have time to share.

Physical attributes play a minor role in defining a man. Yes, it feels natural and fitting now that I have one, but it's not all about my junk. What defines me as a man is my ability to be respectful, responsible, understanding, just, empathetic, sympathetic and purposeful. My actions have meaning and my words are chosen to lift up those around me. This world may challenge my existence and attempt to belittle me by saying things that I used to believe in regards to me not being good enough or man enough or being less than human, ungodly... But it never made sense... Why do I exist if I was meant to drown in my own self-loathing? What a waste of this life and God's gift to me. What a pointless way to live. So, I studied, observed and mimicked those that I respected, those that exhibited the characteristics of what kind of man I wanted to be. I wanted to be a true gentleman to the best of my ability.

No matter how much I tried though, nothing seemed to diminish the lingering negativity.

Until I let God take over

The closer I get to God, the taller I stand, the stronger I feel, the more confident in myself I become. God controls this life, not me, and I will do my best to be the man He needs me to be. I'll continue to study and observe, but my prospective has changed. My vision has changed. My heart is open and accepting to God now rather than simply to human.

All is well and all is good! I can't wait to see what God has in store for me.

Have a good weekend!

Anonymous Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment